How to Tell if Your Ducts Need to be Cleaned
Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how often your air filter has been changed, to name some—you may require air duct cleaning more or less frequently. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Smyth Air Conditioning Inc in Lake Worth about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the timeline between expert cleanings.
Above all, setup annual HVAC maintenance with the experts at Smyth Air Conditioning Inc. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating well, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Smyth Air Conditioning Inc about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters routinely and changing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not require replacement.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that permit dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Lake Worth home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at Smyth Air Conditioning Inc a call at 561-533-6066 or set up an appointment online.